Contributors

Sunday 16 May 2010

Rye Harbour

This week my trip out was around Rye Harbour LNR on a fine and sunny but early morning. Having been round various partsduring the week walking the dog I wanted to look a bit closer with the scope.

First stop was at the Wader Pool. The usual gulls, Oystercatchers, Redshanks and a few Avocet were feeding and with closer inspection six Dunlin, a couple of Grey Plover and Bar Tailed Godwits were also seen together with a few Ringed Plover.
Ringed Plover
Next stop was at the corner of the track where last year the Wheatears were nesting but although there was no sign of them around the old nest site but this male was on a post near by.
                                      
Male Wheatear
With nothing on the sea and low tide I went on to the Ternery Pool, the water levels are dropping slowly creating more room on the islands for the Terns
                                       

The Black Headed Gull chicks have started to hatch.
From here a quick look on the Quarry with not much to report I set for the Barn Pools, passing along Narrow Pit a couple of Cettis called and a call I was not familiar with but after talking to a couple of birders turned out to be a Nightingale and was heard again on my way back. On the Barn Pools I counted 30 +
Avocets
It was time to head for home as the grass needed cutting, but a qhick stop at the Viewpoint on Castle Water turned up Sedge and Reed Warblers. A look in the close tree hoping for a Turtle Dove led me to a fine Hobby who watched me watching him for a good 10 minutes before flying over the reed beds catching something and perched back in the tree but this time out of sight.


Hobby watching me watching him

No comments:

Post a Comment