Contributors

Monday 12 January 2015

Sunday 11th January Heading West avoiding the crowds

Sunday started with a cold, breezy and sunny morning but there were 10 vehicles at the Lesser Yellow Legs site at 8.00am changed my thought of heading to Dunge and decided to go and find my own birds and try out some more with my new compact camera.
 
Setting off at 10.30 I headed for Newhaven to see if any Jack Snipe were where I saw them last year. Sadly after an hour of stomping around all I could find were a pair of Stonechats, 40+ Goldfinches, numerous Skylarks and around 5 - 8 Common Snipe. 
 
 
Last years Jack Snipe site
I decided to move on further west to see the Red-breasted Mergansers at Widewater. Pulling into the car park 2 pairs were immediately obvious with the males competing for the females.



As usual all were having a bad hair day
Next on the agenda was to find the female Common Scoter, although having seen many as brown blobs on the sea I wanted to see this one up close. The gathering of birders soon gave away its whereabouts, and gradually she swam towards me where I was able to get some exceptional views.




Looks Grumpy
With all that in the bag I went to Shoreham Harbour and on the middle jetty there were 2 Purple Sandpipers and a couple Turnstones on the beach


Turnstone

Purple Sandpiper
Finally heading back to the car a Rock Pipit called and flew overhead eventually landing some distance away.
Rock Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment