Contributors

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Empidonax?

A text from birdguides saying an Empidonax sp at Dungeness with a Mega status got me thinking whats this. A quick look in my Collins bird book suggested an American flycatcher. A couple of minutes thought and I was off. On arriving at Dungeness point there were cars each side of the road from the lifeboat house to the new light house, and there was me thinking if I could find the location.

At least 150 birders were there, and within 5 minutes I was watching the first ever Acadian Flycatcher to be seen in Britain, the nearest being a dead bird found in Iceland in 1987. Having had good views in my bins I tried a photo, but then the rain set in I managed 1 shot and missed it.
What a nice water butt, but that's where it was. Although I didn't get a photo I was very happy with what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment