Contributors

Sunday 6 September 2015

Red-backed Shrike 4th September 2015

Its now about 6 years I have been birding and one I have always wanted to see is a Red-backed Shrike - I don't know why? but its always been high on the must see list. Despite a good search last year at the Birds Eye factory at Lowestoft where the bird had been seen daily for over a month I dipped. Then an adult male turned up at the Cuckmere while I was in Suffolk, cutting the holiday short by a day I came back to see it only to dip again. Then on Thursday while at Rye Harbour I got news of one there but couldn't find it. On Friday the one at Dungeness RSPB was reported in the am and showing well. So I set off with the dogs to Dunge not to see it. Stopping where it was supposed to be I scanned the bushes and blow me in 10 seconds I found it although quite a distance away and in poor light.





Come Saturday the shrike still being there I went back for another look, first stop however was at Dengemarsh gulley where I had 2 Wheatears, 4 Winchats, Kingfisher, Willow warblers, numerous Whitethroats, a couple of Sedge warblers and a Lesser Whitethroat, on arrival at the reserve quite a few birders were looking at the shrike and although better light it was further away than Friday, probably the noise from the crowd didn't help


Red-backed Shrike - a cracking bird for me

No comments:

Post a Comment