Contributors

Sunday 11 February 2018

Birding The Gambia Day 1 Arrival at Farakunku Lodge

Friday 26th January 2018, Departed Gatwick on Thomas Cook airlines at around 7.00am arriving in Banjul early at 12.30 due to a strong tail wind. After a lengthy queue at passport control my bags were soon off loaded and I met Moses in the arrivals hall. A 40 minute drive on god tarmac roads and then a couple of minutes along a rough dirt track I arrived at the Farakunku Lodges which was to be my home for the next 7 nights.

After unpacking and downing a beer I went off into the gardens where there are drinking pots waiting for my first Gambian bird.other than the Cattle Egrets, Pied Crows and Hooded Vultures seen on the way from the airport.
First to greet me were a pair of Western Plantain Eaters
 Then a Western Red Hornbill
 An African Thrush
 Finally some Bronze Manikins

These birds I was able to ID with the help of my field guide but now In need of a shower and another beer I retired to my lodge to get ready for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment