Contributors

Friday 16 February 2018

Birding The Gambia January 2018 The Travel Bits

I heard of the Farakunku Lodges from some old friends who weren't birders but had travelled to The Gambia and struck up a friendship with the owners Heather and Moses. After visiting their stand at the 2017 Rutland Bird Fair I decided to go for it. Having not travelled out of Europe for 40 years this was a big challenge for me especially as I was travelling alone.

I travelled with Thomas Cook Airlines from Gatwick leaving at 06.45 on Friday 26th Jan, returning Friday 2nd February. Flights leaving were on time coming back delayed by 45minutes, cost including extra baggage ie 20kg meals on board and seat choice was about £280.

Staying at Farakunku the cost was £845 which included Dinner, bed and breakfast for a single in a double lodge. Plus 6 days full birding with a one to one guide and a driver 2 lunches and a boat trip.
I spent another £120 on Water, Beer, Wine with all my evening meals, plus Lunches and tips.
The Lodges

The Dining Room

Gardens at Farakunku Lodges

Patio around the Plunge Pool

Solar Hot Water Heater

Todays Menu

The Plunge Pool
I had excellent food and service and will definitely return, hopefully next winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment