Contributors

Monday 31 October 2022

Norfolk again Late October and another Lifer

 Trying to get to my target of 270 species this year I had planned a trip to Norfolk and Spurn for the end of the month. However with the warm south westerly winds there appeared to be few migrants being found there. So I cancelled Spurn, and did a short trip to Norfolk staying in Thetford Forest again with the caravan. On arrival on Thursday 27th I set up quickly and went to Salthouse to twitch the Long-billed Dowitcher. It was showing at the back of the pool along Iron road and gave good scope views. It was only the second one I have seen. A couple of Shore larks were in the field opposite.

Long-billed Dowitcher

Later in the afternoon news broke of an Alpine Accentor in Suffolk. Thinking it may be a Dunnock on the beach I decided to wait until it was confirmed. Later in the evening a photo was posted so I waited until the morning to see if it was still there before making the 60 mile journey to see it.

Friday 28th, I was ready for the news and as soon as it was reported I left and arrived at Aldburgh just before 10 am. A large crowd was walking around the Martello tower following the bird as it flew until it was lost somewhere on the beach. Walking away from the crowd and looking from another direction a person next to me said there it is. So both of us had a really close look.   As soon as I took my camera out  the crowd came over and the bird now beyond the fence moved further away and the birders pushed in front of us. I managed a couple of shots but with heads in the way they are a bit out of focus.

Not liking these sort of twitches I moved back and watched at a distance as the bird moved further away.

It was seen again throughout the day but departed early the next morning.

Heads in the way

Alpine Accenter

Alpine Accentor

Alpine Accentor

In the afternoon I took a leisurely drive back to Norfolk stopping at Hickling Broad to see the Cranes. Walking out to Stubb's Mill it wasn't until nearly dark when I had started walking back to the car that I saw 3 come in to roost, then another 2, then another 2, and then finally another 3. Back at the car it was now dark and I started the 60 mile journey back to the caravan. 

Saturday 29th. with little news reported I went to Cley and walked around the reserve not seeing anything new. Halfway around there was news of a Hoopoe at West Runton so once back at the car I went to look. Unfortunately it had disappeared into the pine belt and after a couple of hours I gave up and went back to the caravan as I was feeling tired after the long day yesterday.

Sunday 30th. Heavy rain in the morning, I went to Titchwell and sat in the Parrinder Hide all morning, although there was plenty of birds the rain made viewing hard so I decided to head back to the caravan and head for home.

Nice to get another lifer, my year list now 269

No comments:

Post a Comment