Contributors

Thursday 10 November 2022

Grey Phalarope 270th for the year

 After several days of rain I was itching to get out and try my new lense on the new camera. As i'm not too knowledgeable about cameras etc. I couldn't afford to upset the household and buy in my mind over the top. Many years ago when I started birding I used a Sigma 150 - 500 lense and I think the images then were as good as when I bought a Canon 100 - 400 mk.1. So with my new Canon EOS R with an adapter I have tried a Sigma 150 - 600 and although the results are not pin sharp they are so much better than what I was getting with the old 7D set up.

Going to Dungeness I stopped off at The ARC hide. Nothing special about but took a few shots of very distant birds and I was quite pleased with the results. As the Grey Phalarope had been reported earlier, I went to the point and saw Owen Leyshon who I asked where could I find it. He pointed me in the direction between the fishing boats. Within 15 minutes walking across the shingle I spotted it 10 metres off shore. It spotted me and flew further out and then landed on the sea again and gradually drifted north. Eventually I got the camera on it, phew.





Grey Phalarope

Really pleased to see this bird, I missed out on one when on the Scilly Pelagics  as I couldn't get on to one and also one was seen from the Scillonion on my way back to Penzance in October which I missed

No comments:

Post a Comment