Contributors

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Staying Local then off on a Wild Egret Chase

Almost a fortnight since I have been out as last weekend I was laid up with man flu - first time for a couple of years. Although I wanted to twitch a Bluethroat it seems as though they have disappeared. So Sunday am after walking the dogs finding 5 Ruff in a field between Fairlight and Pett, I finally got onto Pett Level Sea Wall at 10.00am. Pete Rouse having just returned from Dunge filled me in on what I had missed which included a Swallow. An hour watching saw probably over 1000 Brents going east and maybe 60 or so Red Throated Divers other than that the usual ducks on the pools, a couple of Buzzards high in the distance.

As I had a Lawn to cut time was short so went to Castle Water hoping for a Garganey but no luck. The only consolation was a couple of Marsh Harriers, the usual ducks and geese and the highlight was this Water Rail in front of the hide.


Camera not quite on the right settings, when will I learn!

While cutting a customer's lawn I get a text from Bird Guides of a Cattle Egret at Rye Hbr in a field next to thr Crab and Lobster Pub ( I don't know of such a pub in Rye but maybe one has changed their name or is it the bar at the caravan park) so I head off with the dogs for their walk around Rye Hbr and no sign at all. (Later I find out it should be Pagham Hbr West Sussex). Anyway no sign of the Kentish Plover today but plenty of Avocets and Ringed Plovers.



 The usual Ducks now in their full mating plumage like this Teal.
Then on Tuesday when driving to Winchelsea Beach for work I thought I saw a Red Headed Duck on Pett Pools, with a car behind me I couldn't stop, eventually turned around and went back and couldn't find it. So lunchtime had another look and astill no luck. On my way back to work I took the camera had another look still no luck. But found this gull wearing bling.

 A Little Egret close to the road
 And a Med Gull distant
 

No comments:

Post a Comment